Richard Friedman is a former AMLAW 100 employment and business litigation partner and an experienced trial lawyer. He handles all kinds of employment-related matters such as those involving investigations of alleged employee misconduct, covenants not to compete, employee discipline and terminations, discrimination claims, fiduciary duty claims, wrongful discharge claims, defamation claims, alleged misappropriation of trade secrets, and related issues for companies of varying sizes as well as individuals in New York state and federal trial and appellate courts as well as other venues.
Richard’s most recent blog article discusses several noteworthy National Labor Relations Board decisions concerning a few of the do’s and don’ts involving employer social media practices and policies and employee posts on social media. The article can be accessed via the following link.
Richard also represents individual clients in employment-related matters and disputes. He has advised individual clients with respect to their rights and obligations arising out of restrictive covenant provisions and negotiated numerous employment and severance agreements on behalf of such clients. Richard has also counseled experienced lawyers in connection with their ethical obligations when changing law firms.
In addition, Richard aggressively represents clients in a wide range of business litigation matters, including contract and licensing agreement disputes, partnership disputes, real estate litigation, and post-judgment enforcement proceedings. Richard has a particularly active practice in the New York County Commercial Division and was appointed by the former Chief Administrative Judge to the Court’s Advisory Committee on which he continues to serve with the ten judges of that court.
Some of Richard’s more notable engagements in recent years are as follows:
- Helped to save a technology company up to $100 million in a landmark case brought by its former chief operating officer seeking to enforce an option agreement by obtaining a favorable decision (after a 41 day trial) as co-lead trial counsel. This case was the subject of a feature article in the American Lawyer which can be accessed by clicking here.
- Successfully defended a national builder of military housing against multimillion dollar claims arising out of a dispute at West Point and obtained a monetary recovery on a counterclaim.
- Obtained numerous favorable decisions from the Southern District of New York and the Second Circuit on behalf of Pfizer Inc. which was seeking to enforce two multimillion dollar judgments.
- Won a multimillion dollar post-closing arbitration award on behalf of a national paper manufacturing company.
- Secured breach of contract judgments on behalf of Sony Electronics, Inc. against various entities.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement through mediation on behalf of a national real estate mortgage brokerage company in a multimillion dollar federal court lawsuit which resulted in no out-of-pocket payment by the client.
Richard is a frequent legal commentator on CNN, FOX, and several other major networks on litigation-related issues. YouTube links from several of his recent appearances appear on the home and “Media” pages.
Admissions – New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Tax Court
- Cornell University
B.A. magna cum laude (with distinction in all subjects)
- J.D., University of Chicago