Richard B. Friedman
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second and Third Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Tax Court
- Member, Advisory Committee, New York County Supreme Court Commercial Division
- Member, House of Delegates, New York State Bar Association (“NYSBA”)
- Member, Executive Committee, Commercial and Federal Litigation Section, NYSBA
- Founding Co-chair, In-house/Outside Counsel Litigation Group, New York City Bar Association (“NYCBA”)
- Member, Labor & Employment Committee, Trade Secrets Committee, NYCBA
- Member, Board of Directors, New York County Lawyers Association (“NYCLA”)
- Member, Board of Directors, NYCLA Foundation
- Member, Task Force, NYCLA In The 21st Century
- Founding Co-chair, In-House/Outside Counsel Committee, NYCLA
- Member, Alumni Association, Cornell University Alumni Association
- Member, Alumni Association, University of Chicago Law School, NY Chapter
Visit the Speaking Engagements page.
Richard has been a legal commentator on CNN, FOX, and several other major
networks on litigation-related issues. See YouTube links from several of his
appearances on the Media page.
Visit the Blog page.
J. D., The University of Chicago Law School
B.A., magna cum laude (with distinction in all subjects), Cornell University, School of Arts and Sciences
Richard Friedman enjoys assisting his clients in employment-related and commercial negotiations, arbitrations, and litigations. He is honored to help his clients successfully navigate some of the most transformative events in their professional lives.
Richard represents both executives and management in employment matters.
Richard has extensive experience negotiating employment, separation, and consulting agreements. He counsels executives and management primarily on employment-related issues.
You get AMLAW 100 expertise + extensive experience.
Richard is a former AMLAW 100 employment and commercial litigation partner and an experienced trial lawyer. He started his boutique firm in March 2015. The firm handles matters typically referred by AMLAW 100 partners when they can’t represent the client due to business or legal conflicts.
Richard is a highly regarded, skilled, and well-known commercial litigator.
He aggressively represents clients in a wide range of commercial litigation matters, including disputes related to contracts, trade secrets, and partnership dissolutions. Because Richard has a particularly active practice in the New York County Supreme Court Commercial Division, he is very familiar with its personalities and culture.
- Represented a C-suite financial industry executive to secure more favorable economic terms in his separation agreement.
- Negotiated employment agreements for executives of a national mortgage lending company which was being sold by a private equity firm to a large regional financial institution.
- Successfully represented a former senior partner of a preeminent consulting firm in a litigation involving the alleged misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Negotiated a successful settlement of a FINRA arbitration against a well known investment bank.
- As co-lead trial counsel, saved a technology company up to $100 million in a landmark case brought by its former chief operating officer seeking to enforce his option agreement.
- Mediated a favorable settlement on behalf of a national real estate mortgage brokerage company in a multimillion dollar federal lawsuit which resulted in no out-of-pocket payment by his client.
- Successfully litigated on behalf of a major non-profit organization against its former executive director with respect to his malfeasance.
- Prepared a senior executive of a sports team for an internal investigation interview.